A low-cost series showcasing the exciting Bay Area jazz scene, SFJAZZ Hotplate occurs on the second Thursday of each month at the Amnesia Bar in the Mission district. Each show features a local artist re-imagining the music of a jazz legend. Recently, a new component called Front Burner has been added, featuring SFJAZZ Director of Education Rebeca MauleÃ³n leading a multi-media discussion about the jazz icon of the night.
Six sizzling tributes are scheduled during the first half of 2012:
• January 12 – Chris Robinson plays Pat Metheny
• February 9 – Larry De La Cruz plays Cannonball Adderley
• March 8 – Chloe Jane Scott plays Hubert Laws
• April 12 – Anton Schwartz plays Stanley Turrentine
• May 10 – Geechi Taylor plays Roy Hargrove
• June 14 – Scheherazade Stone sings Gil Scott-Heron
And, at every Hotplate event there is a chance to win SFJAZZ merchandise and tickets to upcoming SFJAZZ concerts. For information, visit sfjazzhotplate.org.